Re: "S" cams in a 2.5 and wheels question...

on 5/2/02 5:43 PM, alfa-digest at owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided wrote:

> Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 10:11:14 -0700
> From: Kit Redwine <kredwine@domain.elided>
> Subject: "S" cams in a 2.5 and wheels question...
>
> I've looked at the GTV6.org discussion group on this but thought I might
> throw it out to the digesti as well.
>
> I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of gently used 164 "S" cams at
> what I perceive is a fair price.  I have an '86, stock GTV6 and was
> wondering if it's even worth it to buy the cams and have them installed in
> the 2.5?  Comments?
>
> Also, has anyone installed the new OEM Alfa wheels (like from a new GTV,
> Spider, or 156) on their GTV6?  If so, how do they look?  Is it a straight
> bolt-on?
>
> I would like some new 16" wheels and wonder if anyone has maybe found a
> source for the OEM wheels that are maybe pull-offs from used cars in Europe
> or Asia?
>

> thx,
>
> Kit
> Seattle
> '86 GTV6

I can't address the camshaft questions as I have no experience with such a
mod, BUT, I can tell you what the pitfalls are in fitting the later wheels
to a GTV-6. There's no accounting for taste, so I'm not going to tell you
that aesthetically they don't fit - different era and all that, but I am
going to tell you that PHYSICALLY they might not be right. I'm sure they
have the same bolt pattern and spacing, but the thing that it is MOST
important to check before spending money on the later wheels is the wheel
offset. This is the measurement between the inside face of the mounting
plane on the wheels (where the wheel snugs-up to the hub using the lug
bolts) and the wheel's (and thus the tire's) center line. This offset is
measured in millimeters and "zero offset" means that the mounting plane and
the center of the wheel is the same. "positive offset" means the mounting
plane is toward the outside of the wheel (most common) and "negative offset"
means that the mounting plane is inboard of the center of the wheel. It is
my understanding that the offset for Alfa Romeo FWD cars is different than
the offset for RWD cars. This can adversely affect suspension geometry and
thus might have a deleterious effect on handling. Also, the wrong offset can
cause the tire to rub on the fenders. Measure your offset and then measure
any new wheel that you are contemplating. Ask an expert about what
difference (if any) using the FWD wheels have on a RWD GTV-6's handling and
operation. I have a friend who has the big 164 wheels on his Milano (75) and
while they look a little out of place style-wise (to me) he hasn't mentioned
any handling differences.

George Graves