Re: GTV6 transaxle question

In a message dated 5/2/2002 8:51:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Subject: GTV6 transaxle question
>
> Hi-
> My GTV6 started making a "clunk!" when I let off the gas, particularly in
> 3rd and 4th gear.  So, I started taking stuff off the car to figure out
> what
> the problem was.  The driveshaft and all its doughnuts are fine, as are all
>
> the engine mounts.  The clutch is fine also.  I could reproduce the clunk
> when I turned the input shaft of the transmission back and forth with the
> car in 3rd or 4th gear. SO, I took off the front half of the transaxle and
> pulled out the gearbox.  Nothing is grossly wrong, no stripped gears, etc.
>
> If I engage 3rd or 4th gear and turn the input shaft while I keep the
> pinion
> shaft still, there is play, probably 1/16" or more.  The is play in 1 but
> not in 2.  5th seems pretty tight.  It looks to me as if there play between
>
> the synchro hubs and the synchro sleeves in 1/2 and 3/4.  The problem is
> only when I let off the gas; there is no corresponding clunk when I get
> back
> on the gas (I think).  Any ideas?  What I can see of the differential is
> OK,
> the spider gears are not stripped.  My CV joints are fine, and there is no
> play in them.
> Thanks,
> Al

       It sounds from here like the rear mount on the transaxle is shot
allowing the transaxle to move up and down and cause the clunk.  That's the
mount on the back of the differential, between the brake assemblies that
hooks the transaxle to the frame in the rear.

Skip
67 Duetto
Norfolk, Va.