Viscous coupling

Viscous couplings use a rather interesting material.

I can't recall the actual technical term (I'm sure somebody else out there
knows it), but when shear is applied to the fluid, it thickens up.

Similar to wet sand (think about it- run on the wet part of a beach- the
sand is firm, but if you stand there for a while, you will sink in).  Or wet
corn starch- cool experiment- put some in your palm, drip a little water
into it until the slurry starts to be able to move on its own.  Then close
your hand- the mixture will almost solidify, and when you stop, it will
liquefy again.

Cool stuff.

The latest in technology it controlling the viscosity with electricity.
Then you can use a computer to control the degree of slip.  VERY cool stuff.

Eric Storhok
Core Emissions and Fuel Economy Team
Advanced Powertrain Engineering
(313)33x75011