From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided]On Behalf Of
Nicky Avery
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 11:51 PM
To: alfa@domain.elided
Subject: Re: FIAT and Ferrari

Nick is right to be suspicious of rumors of FIAT selling out to GM. Richard
Waggoner or someone close in rank was reported some months ago as saying
that GM
has no desire to buy FIAT. I find this believable as GM would not appear to
need
any more stretcher cases at this time especially when it is heaving Olds
(and,
perhaps, Buick) overboard.

I still think the plan is to see how the relaunch of Alfa (see, Alfa content
after all) fares here and perhaps buy it then from FIAT if the price is
right.
Alfa is pretty much the last purchasable luxury brand of any size with some
"exotic" allure.

Some while back I suggested the only way that Alfa could return to the USA
was
by going upmarket. No listers appeared to agree at the time but I offer the
Brera as evidence that this may indeed be the strategy. On the other side I
may
be proven wrong by the BMW Mini: if it is to be a runaway success, FIAT and
GM
may decide the 147 or its successor looks a good idea. I'm sure they're
watching
with great interest on both sides of the Atlantic. Does anyone know how the
Mini
is affecting the 147? Nick?

Nicky