Shaky Speedometer (82 Spider)

Anyone have any success lubricating a Spider speedometer?  Mine has the jumps
below 25 MPH and it is definately not the cable.  I verified this by
installing another one (a 140MPH version which works fine but is not
compatible with the 85MPH gearing in my speedometer reduction gearing).  The
140MPH is smooth, smooth but, of course, it reads 40 MPH when you are going
60!

Any ideas will help.  I do not want to dismantle the unit to grease it but
will do so if necessary.