GTV6 & Alfetta rear brakes

In V8 #686 Brian Shorey takes my previous comments on the subject to
task: "Obviously you're neither a racer or an aggressive street driver
or you would
have experienced rear brake problems.

"The rear brakes on a GTV6/Milano (and presumably Alfetta), in perfect
operating condition, with fresh new fluid, will overheat under repeated
use
in race conditions.  Seasoned racers and casual time trialers (like
myself)
don't just jump in and begin to 'over-engineer' solutions without trying
the
obvious first.

"Trust me, we've tried all that you've mentioned, the problem is real."

*******

Let me start with defining what I meant by 'over-engineering' the rear
brakes for these cars:

I doubt if one could over-engineer the cooling of the rear brakes.

However, my concern is one could over-engineer the 'stopping power' of
the rear brakes (whether hot or cold) and while solving the heat problem
one might well upset the front / back braking balance especially under
panic / very aggressive braking conditions.

Should I have gone through all of the 'basics' and was still having
problems, as mentioned before, I'd strongly consider installing some
sort of air ducting system to the rear calipers / discsor?

On page 77 of David Owen's 'Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT' book there is a photo
of a very nasty and aggressive Alfetta GT at the '75 Elba Rally (which
Alfa won). On it is a massive rear ducting system and one would assume
it is solely for the rear inboard brakes (although the transaxle might
also have benefited).

Dunno, but bet there is at least someone out there who has solved the
problem without resorting to 'out-board' rear brakes or perhaps even
vented discs in the rear.

Could well be wrong, but would assume they made the fronts work harder
so as to rely on / heat up the rears less and perhaps also used rear air
ducting.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA