re: 164 stepper motor - manual duct selection

hi ken,

there's a li'l plastic lever that can be accessed from the engine-side of the car - w/the hood up, remove that plastic cover at the winshield wipers.  from the passenger-side, yule see it, towards the center; it has a cable attached to it.  this opens/shuts a flap that allows air passing over the heater core to get into the car.  (the heater core is *always* filled on this car...)  you can move this flap/lever w/a long screwdriver, etc...  be *wery* careful - it's not a strong lever - break this, & yule have more work to do, besides the stepper motors!  ;~)

replacing the plastic gears w/metal gears in the stepper ass'y really isn't too bad a yob, if yure willing to cut a whole in the fascia behind the glovebox...  want pics?  ;~)

doug s.
   I am the expert at changing the HVAC between hot and cold on my 164L.
   The ducting selection now won't change with the stepper motors plugged
   in and I get only the split between defrost and heat. Does anyone know
   how to manually change the ducting selection to AC?

   If not I will be forced to perform the stepper motor replacement or park
   the 164L on hot summer days.

   Regards,
   Ken Stevenson       Dallas, Texas
   1995 Alfa Romeo 164LS