Re: 93 octane for 164

--- John Wiltshire
<John.Wiltshire@domain.elided> wrote:

> "Australian octane and US octane appear to have
> about as much in common as
> Australian dollars and US dollars -- the spelling.
> :-)"
>
> Scott,
>
> There is nothing wrong with Australian dollars,

Wrong?  Crikey, no!  From our viewpoint, Australian
dollars have one great overwhelming quality over US
dollars: you get to spend 'em in Australia!  (My whole
family is mad to see Ayers Rock, and the Cape York
Peninsula, and the Sunshine Coast... we've even got a
Fraser Island magnet on our fridge.)

> and anyway, we now spell it "peso"!

So you spell it "buenos dias" but pronounce it
"g'day," then?

> The Octane thread has indeed been lively, and just
> to keep it going, a couple of points:
>
> * Australian oil companies give Octane figrures as
> RON.

Thought so -- and as you've no doubt picked up in the
past few days, there's a LOT of misinformation
floating around regarding octane.  It's a popular
misconception that running higher octane gas will give
you better mileage or more power or increase your sex
appeal or something, none of which is true, and the
idea of being able to buy octane labeled "98" would be
cause for much door-slamming among that crowd.

> * I checked my 164 manual, which stipulates that
> unleaded fuel of "95RON or greater" is required.

So the lesson here is to match the specific
recommendation (for RON, MON, RON+MON/2, FTC, or Road
Octane -- another "standard" I found while looking for
links on the Web) for your car with your local and
national standards.

I mean, Lord knows we have enough to admire the
Australians for without adding "octane envy" to the
mix. :-)

> Cheers,
> John Wiltshire

Good on you, John, and thanks.