Re: alfa-digest V8 #664

on 4/22/02 7:24 PM, alfa-digest at owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided wrote:

> I just stumbled across it (Brit Magazine Evo) yesterday at a bookstore.  Nice
read, nicer
> pictures...
>
> I wondered at that Brera article..  sounds like they got a lot of rumor
> and misinformation?  They said the car has been around since '97 as
> well.. thought this was a 3 month wonder. I've heard said, though, "it
> was designed to be built in production".. whatever that means.
>
> Anyway, last opinion I was hearing, it wasn't slated for production in
> the forseeable next few years.  Anyone with GOOD info otherwise?
>
> The other thing, that latest "road map" from Fiat, seemed to mesh with
> the idea of any car US bound will be a ground up new model.  They
> mention the 156 replacement coming on line first, in early '04. Could
> this mean US Alfa's earlier than '05, like they were apparently
> indicating earlier?

In a recent interview with Autoweek's Leon and Dutch Mandel. Bob Lutz, GM's
new head of production car sales and marketing, said that Fiat hasn't
decided what its going to do about re-entering Alfa Romeo into the US
market, or even if GM will sell the cars here. So I'd say that its possible
for them to either come in later or earlier.

George Graves