Roll Pin Installation Assitance Needed

I'm ready to install the head on my '77 Alfetta GT 2L and need to understand
how to install the roll pins.

I picked up factory roll pins from my local Alfa parts place (Ferrari of
Seattle) and have ended up destroying two and installing one. At this rate,
I'm in for a financial bath on roll pins alone ...

The problem is that the roll pins are 0.25in OD and the holes are 0.20in ID.
The old roll pins (removed when the head was sent to the shop) are also 0.20
in OD, same as the holes. In fact, the holes must be a little larger than the
old pins, the pins slip right in with no resistance (and keep slipping in).

When I installed the new pins, the first one tapped right into the block. The
next two, despite my attempt at careful alignment, caught the edge of the
roll on the block and deformed the pins as I tapped.

What am I doing that I shouldn't be? What am I failing to do that I should
be? Replies both on and off digest would be appreciated, I'm behind in my
reading.

TIA

Tom
Seattle
10123 (built by Wes)
11615 (should have been built by Wes, but noooooo ...)