164Q trunk

Hello all. My 164Q has the typical problem with trunk hinges. I've read
the FAQ and it's obvious that Q's aren't supposed to have this problem,
but my car DEFINITELY does. I've got the replacement springs, but my
mechanic is telling me he can't replace the struts with springs until he
locates a bracket that would the springs. Then it needs to be welded in,
which could damage the paint.... the whole thing could turn out to be
very expensive.

But of course little by little, the gap between the trunk and the body
is widening. I think it's getting worse and I probably should get it
fixed.

So I have two questions:
1) Anyone know of any other way to solve this problem other than
welding?
2) Where can I get the replacement bracket(s) to install instead of the
strut-type bracket?

Thanks,
-Glenn

'94 164Q (looks good except for the trunk and the crumbly side-view
mirrors)
'93 Spider Veloce (trunk opens and closes just fine, and fits a lot more
stuff than a Miata)