From: C2slayman@domain.elided [mailto:C2slayman@domain.elided]
Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2002 12:07 AM
To: crawfordpat@domain.elided
Subject: Re: alfa-digest V8 #640

Pat,
      The compression readings aren't great, but not bad enough to explain
your rough running.  Maybe a slight rumble in the idle, but not rough
running.  I would not rebuild the head or engine based on these results
alone.  But check your valve clearance to make sure you haven't burned a
valve on #1, 2 or 4 - a burned valve will show a SMALLER clearance as the
valve recedes into the seat.  If this is the case, you will want to fix it
before you do more damage.  But again, this isn't the cause of the lawnmower
effect.
      Remember, when you do a compression test, the throttle should be wide
open, the battery should be fully charged, and you should get enough
compression pulses to saturate the reading.  Do a wet test (spoonful of oil)
to get an idea if the variation is due to rings or valves.
      Figure out what is causing the rough running.  Did water get into the
distributor from the leaking pump?  Pull the cap and rotor and check things
out.  Run the engine and pull on plug wire at a time to see if the rough
idle is due to one cylinder.
      Once you've located and fixed the rough running problem, then tackle
the water pump.  Remember to double nut the top pump studs if you can't get
the pump  to clear the crank pulley.

Cheers,
Charlie

In a message dated 04/12/2002 7:35:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time,