How I Made CarDisk Work On My WinXP Computer

Well sort of.  If you have an extra 5 1/4 bay and an extra 3 1/2 bay,
get yourself something called a "Trios" made by a company called Romtec.
I ordered mine for $50 from TigerDirect.  The Trios goes in the 5.25 bay
and has three illuminated buttons on the front that let you switch
between up to three different hard drives with different operating
systems.  Modern BOIS chips autodetect the hard drive, so you don't have
a settings problem as you switch hard drives.

My case was kinda small, so I wound up buying a larger case too (also
very cool). I haven't put in the third disk drive yet, just WinXP and
WinME.  The WinME drive lets me run the CarDisk and also some
educational programs for my five year old that don't run under XP.

So far it works great, except that it's sort of hard to move files from
one drive to the other, since only one drive is on line at a time.  This
hasn't been too big a problem for me, since I have a home network and
can move the file to another computer while shutting down and restarting
in a different OS.

Obligatory Alfa content:  I had to get CarDisk running so I could run
the new disk I just ordered for a 1969 Spider 1750.  The disk is not
here, but neither is the 1969 Spider, which is on a truck from LA to NY.
I am a little excited, yes.

George Pond
1991 164S
1981 GTV-6 3L
1979 Spider (looking for a new home soon)
1969 Spider (in transit)