Spider Safety Options

       If you are planning to run the time trials at Costa Mesa California,
you will need a roll bar that is above the top of your helmet.  Unless you
are really short, street bars are worthless in my opinion.  They are not tall
enough and they do not have the required diagonal brace.
       I will send you an article I wrote a few years ago for our local AROC
newsletter before our annual Alfa Rodeo Driver's Education Day at the track.
It is about tech inspection and the AutoPower roll bar in my street racer 82
spider.  The top is modified to clear the roll bar; however, it takes 15
minutes to disassemble the top to put it up or down.
       I have never run a chassis stiffener.  I am not sure I like the
concept that much.  Plus I know they are not legal for SCCA racing or solo
events, so I have never bothered.  If you want a real chassis stiffener,
build a full roll cage, but then access to the seats would be limited and
your wife would not like that.
       Another option would be a Petty bar.  This would run from the center
of the roll bar to the passenger foot well.  It would limit your wife's
access to the seat, so make it removable.
       If your roll bar is truly well above the top of your helmet, then I
suggest full five point racing harness.  The lap belt portion bolts nicely to
the stock attachment points beside your butt.  A horizontal brace in the roll
bar is the best place to attach the shoulder belts.  The anti submarine strap
(required by AROC rules) should be bolted to a hole in the floor pan under
the seat.  Attach it with very large washers so it does not tear out the
sheet metal.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City