re: air pump on a spica car

From: "Steven M. Wirtz"

<<I need some help with a '76 Alfetta. The emissions people are
requiring that the air pump and cat be put back on the car I purchased.
The Spica
system has been removed and the air pump is still there but no belt. My
question is, does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this for just

the air pump to run without the spica?>>

I may have to go look at my car more closely, but....

I thought the Spica pump and air pump ran off two separate belts.  They
both may be toothed, but they are different.  I remember a couple of
years ago, when I looked down and saw a toothed belt lying under the
motor.  I just assumed that the Spica belt had broken again, so I called
AAA to be towed to my mechanic.  He looked, after the tow truck had
driven off into the sunset, and told me to come back sometime after the
need to get out of town had subsided.  The air pump belt had broken,
which looked like, and was near the Spica belt, but that was all there
was to it.

Now, if the air pump runs off the Spica pulley, you may have a problem.
You may need to fashion a V-belt drive for the air pump, like most of
the rest of the civilized world does it.  The reason the toothed air
pump belt broke on my car was because the air pump seized.

For now

Jay Negrin
76 Alfetta GT - w/ all (well, OK, most) of the smog stuff in place; in
California, where such things DO matter