From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided]On Behalf Of
Derek Ealy
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 9:54 AM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: More on brakes and rotors

In my opinion swept area does not really have that much to do with
braking force generated. For instance on a car with small disk brakes,
you can still lock up the tires quite readily. There isn't a car on the
road in normal working condition that cannot lock up their wheels
regardless of the size of the braking surfaces, or whether they are
drums, solid disks, vented, drilled, slotted ( or grooved, gee yea I had
some of those on my jeep but then my mechanic said the rotors were old
and replaced them, he musta ripped me off!).

The issue with the smaller swept areas are that they don't allow for
repeated applications of heavy braking because they cannot dissipate the
heat fast enough. If the brakes are already beyond the temperature which
they can effectively accept the next energy transfer from the cars motion
then the car will not slow down as well.

What swept area has everything to do with is the ability to dissipate
heat, and also just as importantly, effect modulation. The ability to
generate braking force in a fine enough application to get maximal energy
transfer without stepping over the line and locking up the wheel.

Now I wonder if I post this message 5 or 6 times with the same wording,
I'll be able to convince myself that everyone believes me.

Derek