Groovy Rotors

Brian Shorey and I had a brief correspondence about grooved and slotted
brake rotors. Since so many posts seem to be confusing what Brian actually
said, and we clarified between us, I thought I'd pass along this tidbit.

In the early 70s up to about 1988, SAAB delivered their cars with grooved
brake rotors. If you bought brand new SAAB rotors they showed up grooved
right out of the box, as if some bimbo (not brembo, bimbo) had screwed up
the brake rotor honing. Mechanics and brakemen unfamiliar with SAAB's
quirks often honed these brand new rotors flat reducing their effectiveness
and their service life. Used rotors were also treated this way if the owner
was not on hand to forbid it. Installed with the factory grooves untouched,
in a very few miles the pads would bed into the same (though "negative")
pattern of grooves effectively keying the pads into the rotors. This
improved braking performance and also lead to no squeal and very smooth and
quiet brakes free of rumble or vibration.

The grooves were concentric and just big enough to be seen easily and felt
with a fingernail dragged across the rotor surface.

As Brian has correctly pointed out, several times now, these grooves
increase the effective contact area of the pad on the rotor. Think of the
coastline of an Island which is indented with fiords or bays. The coastline
is far longer than the perimeter of a polygon enclosing the island. For a
brake rotor, the ripples in cross section due to the grooves increase the
contact area of the pad on the disc. Now whether this was responsible for
the powerful brakes on every SAAB is debatable. What is not debatable is
that the SAAB 99 and later 900 had more powerful brakes than any
equivalent  car available on the market at the time.

SAAB switched to ATE brakes in 1988 (previously they used Girling) and now
their rotors show up nicely honed from the factory and flat. The newest
SAABs have slotted rotors. Hmmmm

Cheers

Michael

Michael Smith