Re: Brakes: Holes, Grooves, Slots, Solid, Vent(ilat)ed, Aftermarket, Stock

Joe, All,

My original question to the group was in hope that indeed someone could
quantify the "feel"  and performance of any known aftermarket rotors,
which I note was answered by a variety of owners with valid concerns on
quality of manufacture, pad wear, application ( street or track) etc,
and ultimately reservations on slotted and or drilled types.

There is a wealth of research and engineering available on braking
systems on web, (ie: the SAE site), and much of it does indicate for
"normal" street use, sticking with the OEM parts is the most economical
path, but with Alfa's this means Brembo, and in Australia, means being
savaged by an unattractive exchange rate on the dollar.

( And I do not know of many Alfa owners who would call their driving
style "normal".)

So there is a local manufacturer that is well known for its race brake
systems ( and not so welll known for providing rotors for a large
percentage of domestic manufacture), that have a wide range of rotors
for Alfa's, going back to the mid sixties on some models, but their site
has some good info on the whys and wherefores of slotted and drilled
types, written in plain english with real world examples.

Check it out here - http://www.dba.com.au/home.htm , and especially the
online catalogue section on Alfa.

Will write again when I have the new rotors on, with hopefully a glowing
report, and thanks to all for comments to date.

Marc Nash
Melbourne
( And no I do not have shares in the above company etc etc..........)