RE: cross-drilled rotors

<New member interrupting an ongoing thread... a proper introduction will
follow after the commercial break...>

My understanding is that the cross drilling is not so much to improve
the braking under normal circumstances but to improve brake cooling
under sustained and repeated heavy braking. Under circumstances where
the brakes get hot enough to significantly reduce their effectiveness,
slotted or cross-drilled discs will give you a bit more bite at the edge
of the envelope as the brakes are a few degrees cooler than they would
be with plain discs.

Obviously this isn't a major consideration under "normal" conditions,
but having once had a nasty case of brake fade on a long twisting
downhill stretch I can see their benefits if this is the type of driving
you favour. An older head and a young family have reduced my inclination
to push the fates in quite this way.

In the pursuit of perfect handling, the use of slotted discs might
contribute to a reduction in unsprung weight. The again, skinny tyres
would contribute fewer pounds than solid rotors.

Aidrian
Yorkshire

'91 164 (of which more anon)

---