Re: cross-drilled rotors

Brian,

I am no expert on brakes, but you say that

> Unless your drilled rotors are constructed like a cheese grater, they will
not
> offer more braking force.

I think they really do act like cheese graters. If you look at the wear on
pads and rotors of a poorly designed cross-drilled (and not slotted) rotor,
you will see evidence that the holes act like cheese graters. Nonetheless, I
agree with you, that it is the pads that determine the bite and doubt that the
cheese-grater action really contributes to the braking force.
I have cross-drilled and slotted rotors on my 164Q. Yes, I bought them
partially because they look cool and were not much more expensive than the
stock rotors. I understand that they make no difference in everyday driving,
but my drivng is not everyday driving. After almost losing it in a 135mph to
0mph stop, I decided that if I was going to coninue to drive that way, I would
need some serious brakes. When braking hard at high speeds,  cross-drilled
rotors are useful. Unfortunately, I cannot compare my EBC pads on stock rotors
vs. EBC pads on the cross-drilled rotors to get an unbiased persepctive on the
rotors. All I know is that my brakes are fantastic, and I discovered what the
word "bite" means.

Question:
I had some wierd things happen when I tried stopping from a 25mph reverse. Do
the slotted rotors cause bad things to happen in reverse???

later,

Karl

'91 164L

'95 164Q