undercoat

Could someone explain the correct way to finish a 1967 Alfa Giulia
Sprint GTV's wheel wells? How were they finished originally? My car has
peeling, stipply, once-rubbery underseal but I have no idea if it's
original. Should it just be matt black paint?

I'm not bothered about the accurate paint-code or anything like that -
just the rough 'look' that it should have. Any advice on removal of the
old stuff, and what products to apply would also be useful. Any success
stories?

Thanks,
Richard Lane
1967 GTV