Re: GTV 6 (or other Alfa) locks and keys

I am glad that both George Graves and Brian Shorey had a deeper understanding
of Robert Savi's door-lock problem than I did. My answer had been based on
Milano experience: a simple, neat, and affordable stock solution from the
local Alfa dealer.

The next question (probably already answered by Graves' "(without extensive
car modifications)") is whether the locksets (and probably steering column
housing, switchgear, etc) of either the Alfetta coupes or the Milano, or other
116 car, can be adapted to the GTV 6. The door handles of the Alfetta coupes
and the GTV 6 appear to be identical except for plating/paint, as do the
different door handles of the Milano, second-series Alfetta sedans, Giulietta
Nuova, Sei, and 90, and they all share mechanically similar steering column
layouts, so it is tempting to assume that there should be some neat swapping
options to get a more standard lockset into a GTV 6. Unfortunately such neat
assumptions are very often wrong. If anyone has anything to add I would be
interested.

The late Alfetta coupes outside the USA, in production through 1985, appear to
be identical to the GTV 6 except for the drive-train - logical dash, mesh
headrests, plastic skirts, the works. Perhaps one of the contributors from the
wider world knows whether the late 116 four coupes shared the 6's perverse
locks, and/or whether there are European answers to the problem.

John H.