Re: spider bearing growl

--- "Ritchie, Jason" <jritchie@domain.elided> wrote:
> My 74 spider has a bearing growl I notice with the
> engine idling and the car
> in neutral.  The sound goes away when the clutch
> pedal is pressed.  It also
> appears while driving the car.  I guess its the
> throwout bearing

Now, I'm not there with you, and I can't hear the
growl.

But I question the logic.  The throwout bearing
doesn't touch anything UNTIL you press the clutch,
first of all.  And second of all, the transmission is
rotating (at least some of it even in neutral) UNTIL
you press the clutch, at which point it drags to a
stop (unless you're moving, of course).

> and the
> transmission has to come out to replace it.  The
> gearshift also vibrates
> noticeable while driving so I will also be doing a
> driveshaft rebuild at the
> same time.

You may very well need a driveshaft and a throwout
bearing rebuild, but I'd be saving up for a new
transmission if I had a car acting like yours.

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon
.
http://taxes.yahoo.com/