Re: iron 2000/2600 drivetrain question

On Monday, April 1, 2002 13:17, Watry, Andrew <Andrew.Watry@domain.elided>
wrote:
>I have a couple questions about iron 2000/2600 gearboxes and rear axles.  In
>short, are they the same dimensionally and functionally?  On the trans, Fusi
>shows that the 2000 has a closer-ratio gearset than the 2600. But is the
>casing, bellhousing, input shaft, clutch mechanism, etc., the same?  And I
>imagine the rear axle is basically the same between the two?  2000s have
>drum rear brakes; did early 2600s have drums on the back or were they all
>four-wheel disks?  Thanks

Andrew,

I don't have my parts manual in front of me so I can't comment on the other
stuff, but I can confirm that the early 2600's had drum brakes on the rear.
The '62 & '63 had them.  I believe the changeover occurred at or near the
beginning of the '64 production.

BTW, on the 2600, the center gearbox casing is the same as the 105 casing,
with a longer bellhousing (including 2 mounts) and a different tailpiece (with
no mount at all).

HTH,
--
Dan Scolaro
Delaware Valley AROC www.dvaroc.org

65 2600 Spider
87 Milano Gold
91 164 (awaiting transplant)
88 Verde parts car w/o sunroof (need anything?)
91 164S (organ donor)