Spider bellhousing cracked, why?

Hi Group:

The bellhousing on my '74 Spider has cracked completely through in the area
that the starter bolts to.  I've not seen such a crack before and wonder if
this is a known failure mode for 115 bellhousings.

Some additional info:  The transmission is securely bolted to the
bellhousing, which is in turn securely bolted to the engine.  Motor mounts
are in good condition, with no noticeable sagging, but the rear
transmission mount has seen better days and sags a bit.  Starter is
securely bolted to the bellhousing, although I'm unsure if the proper
shoulder bolt was used in the middle hole (I've never had the starter out
of this car).  The other end of the starter is securely bolted to the
bracket coming off the motor mount.  Lastly, before the failure, the
starter worked well, with no unusual noises or grinding, and the
Spica-injected engine always starts quickly on the first attempt.  The
starter still operates normally, except that the pinion gear will no longer
engage the ring gear on the flywheel.

So my question is, what is the likely cause of the failure?  My only guess
is some previous abuse at the hands of a past owner or mechanic.  Any other
ideas?

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
dwc@domain.elided