Re: 84 GTV6 Brakes

--- BKarbocus@domain.elided wrote:
> What is a good brake pad for the street and
> occassional track?  Anyone try
> the Centerline slotted drilled rotors?  Do stainless
> steel lines make a
> noticeable difference?  My car just is not braking
> very well, I stand on the
> brakes and it will not lock up.

Then there's likely more wrong than pads, rotors and
lines.  Don't band-aid around with your brakes -- make
sure the system has been flushed and bled properly,
and make sure the master cylinder is tight (one quick
way to check: press and HOLD the pedal; if your foot
moves past the point of initial resistance while
applying constant pressure, it's very probably leaking
slightly).  You should be able to lock up the wheels
(uhh... an '84 wouldn't have ABS, would it???) if
everything's right.

Now, having said that... stainless lines sure LOOK
cool.  I've run them in my Britcar days, and I can't
say whether they really made the pedal any firmer
because I always replaced the fluid and pads when I
replaced the lines, so I can't definitely say how much
better they are than brand-new stock rubber lines.  Do
note that there are some potential problems with
stainless lines for the street: the braided covers can
allow dirt to work its way into the line and abrade
the inner lining, causing system failure.  Many
DOT-approved SS lines come with a covering designed to
keep this from happening.

As for pads, I'll let people with more recent track
experience in your car take up that issue.  My idea of
a good street pad is the Repco/Axxis MetalMaster; many
other people think this compound takes too long to
warm up, but then I have thighs like treetrunks so
there's no problem with applying pedal pressure, and
they don't fade in fast street driving.

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon
.