Removable rollbar, etc.

After refilling my black printer's ink, visited Brian Shorey's site
(love quick downloads) and was quite impressed with his (and Paul
Glynn's) quite sophisticated solution to a reasonably 'flexible' (option
wise) Spider rollbar.

Before I go any further, I'd like to say that from emails through the
various Alfa Digests (okay, two) from bs feel I somewhat know him. My
guess is Brian 'might' say something like, "This rollbar solution works
for me. Don't ask me to defend it." Or...(?).

Brian points out one of the major flaws / weaknesses of installing a
rollbar in a Series 1 through 3 (& probably 4) Spider. That is, no doubt
out of necessity, the rear 'shelf' is double walled to help provide
sufficient (a relative thing) rigidity to the chassis. Brian mentions a
few solutions.

Okay, must admit two things: (1) I unfortunately feel Alfa Spiders and
passenger / driver are Extraordinarily vulnerable in the case of an
accident. (2) Have been mentally doodling around with what I feel is a
pretty decent solution for rollover protection and could be easily
switched from street to track conditions. However it would be somewhat,
engineering wise, complex (expensive) to fabricateand also for the
buyer to undertake during the initial installation, if done correctly.

My solution would differ somewhat from Brian's in that the removable
down / cross brace to the passenger side would not allow for a passenger
to be present. So, on the street, it (probably) would not be installed.

However, the owner / buyer would receive a complete modular system. In
the street version, the top could still be closed. In the track version,
there would be sufficient 'headroom' to satisfy all, or most, racing
club's rules.

There would / could be a degree of flexibility to allow for the safety
of taller drivers. Unfortunately (and not because of discrimination
regarding tall folk), it would increase the cost of the system.

In addition to the rollbar system, I'm pretty sure I can come up with a
combination track 5-point belt system AND a street diagonal system which
can be either left in place or if one demands neatness, can be an either
/ or proposition.

My question, is there any interest in this, realizing at the outset it
would be perhaps more expensive than purchasing both an Autopower street
and track set of rollbars? The positive being one can have the
advantages of both (and more) and be able to switch quickly from one to
the other.

This is Absolutely Not a, "Yeah, Brian your system is okay, but my
(mentally designed) one is better."

It's more a feeler to see how much you Spider People who use, or
contemplate using your cars for both street & track, are concerned with
these issues...and are willing to pay a reasonable amount to protect the
top two to four inches or so of your head.

And no, I don't contemplate designing a complete rollcage (for those
concerned with the top six to eight inches of their heads). This would
be for those who use their Spiders primarily on the street with only
occasional visits to the track.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA