RE: A Road Map to Alfa Mods

From: "Brian Shorey" <bshorey@domain.elided>
>Maybe, maybe not.
>
>If I'm building as track car, it's probably going to have a stiffer
>suspension, wider wheels, and lower profile tires.
>
>If I'm building a street car, I might be better off to leave the
> >suspension completely alone - maybe some higher quality tires, but I'd
>stick with a higher profile and maybe not even touch the suspension.
>
>For the street I'm not ever going to be driving at the absolute limits
>of the car, so engine mods would probably take priority over
>suspension mods (I'm probably looking for some fun at traffic lights,
>etc).  For a track car I'm looking at the suspension/brakes first.

I think a lot depends on the actual environment which will become the car's
"habitat," and that encompasses more than "street vs. track." For example,
I'm in SoFla, where the roads are smooth (at least free of frost heaves,
expansions trips, etc.) and much of the driving takes place on relatively
free-flowing highways and expressways (with their attendant on- and
off-ramps. So, any suspension compliance more than X is, in a way, wasted.

To preserve that same "streetability quotient" in, say, Boston or Detroit
might entail the suggestions you made.

-Joe in reasonably sunny SoFla