Re GTV6 torsion bar nightmare

Robert, could it be that the bars should be pulled backwards in the car to
be removed, rather than pushed forward?  Either way you should be able to
get it moving using the method described in the next paragraph.

I recently adjusted the front ride height of my Alfetta which involved
disconnecting the bars from their splines at both ends.  To do this I used a
longish 10mm x 1.25 bolt (about 60mm in length), my trusty 27mm socket and a
stack of plate washers.  The bolt went through the plate washers and the
socket, and engaged the treaded hole in the back end of the torsion bar by 4
or 5 turns.  When tightened, this home-made puller slid the bar backward
enough to disengage the splines first at the A arm and then at the cross
member.  The fit of the splines was what I would call an easy fit, requiring
no great force to get the bar moving.

I did find out the hard way than even the lightest load on the torsion bar
from the suspension makes the bar a lot harder to move!

George Beston