finishing on center console wood

Hello.
I have the center console out of my 1970 GTV and have replaced the
black vinyl on it (the console that goes between the two front seats
and has the emergency brake hole in it). The laminate wood piece in
the center is in rough shape. I have peeled off what looks like to be
a thin layer of 'plastic film' (as it is mucked up bad) and have
sanded the wood.
I was going to use a water based uerythane but wanted to find out if
anyone knows what type of plastic film was used on the
original.  The underside of the wood piece is in nice shape and
also has a thin layer of plasticy material on it. It looks like it
was glued to the wood.
My local woodworking contacts are not sure
what it is and how to get it.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks