Milano vibration 2400-3400 rpm, I need suggestions!

Hi,

I have an 88 Milano Verde w/83000 miles. There is a vibration that begins
at about 2400 rpm and goes to around 3400 rpm. The vibration occurs even
when the car is standing still with the tranny in neutral. It seems to be
worse though when the car is in motion and the tranny is in 1st and 2nd
gears, although it is still noticeable in 3rd - 5th.

My mechanic initially said it was the driveshaft donuts or the driveshaft
being out of balance. He replaced the donuts but the problem remained. So
next he sent the driveshaft out to be balanced and the problem still
remains. I'm very very upset now as those repairs have cost me $1100. My
mechanic doesn't believe that the problem is in the engine becaues he ran
the car with no driveshafts and couldn't find the vibration (though that
was hard to tell because the exhaust was removed and it was very very
loud).

Initially I had assumed that the problem was in the driveshaft after
researching this issue on the internet and finding several people having
problems with donuts and balancing. His initial analysis fell in line
with what I was expecting so I proceeded. Now my confidence is broken and
I'm looking for advice.

The mechanic still thinks it is in the driveshaft and has offered to put
in one from another milano free of charge. This is fine but really
doesn't sound like the problem to me. What else could be causing this
deep low frequency vibration at the stated rpms? The vibration is strong
enough to shake the steering wheel sometimes. It almost feels like you
are driving over rumble strips or a washboard road.

Could it be the exhaust?

Or the clutch and or its secondary flywheel at the transmission? This
seems like the only other possibility since the driveshaft always spins
at engine speed and I therefore assume that the driveshaft connects to
the transmission flywheel and also keeps it spinning at engine speed.

I've ruled out the tranny and tires since the problem happens when the
car isn't moving.

Despartely vibrating - Derek