Recalcitrant spider...or, mah lil car don' wurk

Friday. The first day of real fantastic Alfa weather here in Utah this
year. I drop the top on my '87 Quad and after 5 minutes driving, it dies
hard and will not start again - it cranks fine, but doesn't fire up.
I've checked the easy stuff, thanks to an archive search - the inline
fuel pump fuse is fine, and if I pull the fuel line out of the pump it
spurts fuel for a second when the ignition is turned on, then pumps
profusely while cranking. This rules out any problems with the relays /
fuel pumps, does it not? The spark seems strong as well. The fuel filter
was old, and I plan on replacing it, but I could blow through it easily
enough that I don't think it would cause the car to die immediately and
completely like it did. Charging system is fine - it was at 14 volts
when it died.
One possible clue - the last time I shut the car down before it puked I
heard a kind of whirring, moaning noise when I revved the engine. I
popped the hood and it seemed to be coming from front passenger's side
of the engine compartment (in front of the plenum, etc). I heard the
same noise just before it died. It was also hesitating periodically the
last couple of days. Any ideas out there? Any on / off digest replies
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

ps. Do any Utah digesters have recommendations on an Alfa shop in the
area? Utah county preferred, but Salt Lake will do, or even Vegas.
Especially interested in a tranny rebuild (who isn't...)