Unsolicited Endorsement of Spider Chassis Stiffener

In V8 #584 Charlie Slayman does something which I feel is quite coolhe
lists the top six changes he made to his '89 Spider which he feels made
the 'greatest improvements'.

While not suggesting it should change, much of the Digest is taken up
with "Oh woe is me, how do I fix it?" And often there are quite good
answers, and of course, lots of chit chat. I'm guilty on all counts.

However, here is someone who has obviously spent a lot of time and most
likely money, tweaking his Alfa to his likingand then best of all,
sharing his findings.

Unfortunately Charlie and Group at Large, I have more questions:

But first let me do my usual digression. (1) I have this '69 Round-Tail
in the shop and not sure what / where it will end up. (2) I'm just an
old-fashioned guy and perhaps naively feel one can still have a slightly
tweaked sports car, drive it daily, occasionally take it on the track
with no more than tape on the headlights and perhaps poster paint
numbers on the doors, and have a ball doing botheven if one rarely (as
in never) takes home the trophy. Also, the car is not so harsh as to
frequently get, "Oh god, do we have to take that thing again?"

So, Charlie (and anyone else wanting to join in), what were you trying
to accomplish with Your '89 Spider?

Boy would I like to see a Chassis Stiffener (for erectile cowl
dysfunction) photographed, in situ, and from underneath on a lift. Still
have a problem visualizing how the two vertical 'struts' don't interfere
with the exhaust / transmission unless they drag going over pebbles.

'66 to '89 Spiders have a tail problem. As with any car, some drivers
have no problems, but for mere mortals, the tails can suddenly come
unstuck. Short of huge bags of sand in the trunk, what is recommended
here? The most logical advice I've heard says to keep it pretty soft, so
it will stick when cornering. However, I personally hate the feeling of
any car on its tippy toes when fairly aggressively going through the
bends.

Tires: Should I keep the '69 Spider, I might consider getting a set of
15" steel rims (if they're in good shape and not too dearanyone out
there?), possibly, possibly have slightly wider rims replace the (?)
5.5" ones. Still, I would want to at least get 20k street miles out of
the chosen tires.

Rollbar: (What defeatist nomenclature, but don't have anything better to
offer). Along with protecting one's head, feel a well designed  rollbar
(short of a cage) could also strengthen the flexible flyer's chassis. I
visualize a pretty easily removed / replaced 'down post' from near the
driver's head to the right forward portion of the passengers floor well.
Any thoughts?

Obviously there's a lot more to consider, but for me, these are some of
the main concerns.

For now,

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA