Re: Timing tweeks for the '78 Spider, etc.?

Jeff,

Are you set for maximum timing at 5500 RPM?  The Alro
Romeo Owners of Oregon Web site has a page on tuning
that I found useful when I replaced my distributor a
few months ago:

http://www.alfaclub.org/techstff/tuneign.htm

In particular, note that while static timing the
engine (step 14) will get your car to run, dynamic
timing it (steps 23-24) are critical to getting it to
run well, especially at high RPM.  At least that was
certainly my experience -- my Spider started easily
and puttered around town nicely when only set to the
static timing from step 14, and WOULD reach high
speeds, but it wasn't till I dialed in max advance at
5000 RPM per step 24 that it started to feel like its
old self again, before the original distributor had
started acting up.

So even with the changes you've made in the exhaust,
it's worth making sure you've got the right high-RPM
advance before you start fiddling with anything else.

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon

http://movies.yahoo.com/