strange 105 oil pan?

Hey All,

I was examing my GTA's upper oil pan, and noted it was 1.2 pounds lighter
than a comparible one.  Now, it's not magnesium, just plain old aluminum,
however, it is slightly different than other pans I've compared it to.  The
main difference is some of the baffling is removed on the upper pan.  I
don't know if this is a factory job or someone's interpretation of a better
pan.  Either way, it's a little intriguing.  The part number of the pan,
visible on the pass. side 'wing' of the pan is 105 00 01 200 03.  Anyone got
a similar pan lying around to compare?

Tonight I started with a freshly cleaned head, completely bare except for
the new valve guides, and installed the valves in two hours.  Everything
went together nicely.  I'll recheck the clearances and then the head will be
ready for bolting on to the engine.

Once the block had been dipped and cleaned several times, it was finally
ready for all of this to go back together, and pray to Jano that I've gotten
all that shot peen out of the engine's oil galleys. The pistons have been
located onto their carrillo rods, and that assembly is stuffed into their
liners and attached to the crank.  The actual building begins!

Steve Schaeffer
Seattle, WA