Re: Rear belts in GT Junior?

Message text written by INTERNET:alfa@domain.elided

- --- James Barbour <james.barbour@domain.elided> wrote:

> Does anyone on the Digest have any advice /
> experience with fitting rear seatbelts to a
> GTV / GT Junior?  Since the arrival of our son in
> December this could be a make or break issue for my
> car, so I desperately need a way round this!
<
Hi James,
I have rear seat belts in stock, made by Securon which is a British
company.  They make a lap & diagonal static belt, a lap only static belt,
and also an inertia-reel rear belt, although I'm not certain about the
practicality of fitting the inertia-reel belt in the rear of a Bertone
coupe.  I fitted the static lap & diagonal rear belts to my own 1750GTV for
use with child seats, and it's a relatively easy job.  Cars did vary over
the years, but on my car which is 1969, there were captive nuts in just the
right place for the inner lower mountings (the buckles).  For the outer
lower mountings, I had to drill the inner rear wheelarch and strengthen the
hole with large washers.  For the upper mountings (by your shoulder), there
was a very convenient hole already there, but it did need strengthening.

There's probably no way that this set-up would pass modern regulations for
seat belt mountings, but it's certainly a lot better than nothing, and if
you're sensible about strengthening the mountings, I don't think there is a
problem.   We have used both rearward and forward facing child seats, and
now booster cushions with these belts with no problems at all.

Chris Sweetapple
Highwood Motor Company
Swansea, U.K.
www.highwoodalfa.com