Non-Porsche Content

Getting back to Alfas if I may, I have a 164 that did not have a working oil
level switch. A new unit was installed but it seems to work (or not work) in
strange ways. I start the car the low oil level light is on; I turn off the
ignition and start the car again and the oil level light is off. This
happens even though the oil level is not low or at least not very low. Have
you experience with this? What is supposed to happen? Ted, Vancouver, BC,
1991 164S