Re: baaaad porsche

I've stayed out of this for several days now, but Derek has pushed me
over the edge.  Porsche (the men and the company) has done a lot of
good work.  The Auto Union GP cars, the stillborn Cisitalia GP car,
the 90x racers, the 917, 962, etc.  The 928 is an all-time great car,
and the 924/944/968 is a respectable wannabe Alfetta.  As has been
pointed out already, the rear-engined cars are inherently flawed.
Porsche didn't think it was a good idea when he started with the 356,
he just wanted to make a sports car from VW components just like
Cisitalia was doing with FIAT components.  He knew that a mid-engine
setup was the way to go for serious performance, but that wasn't the
intention of 1.6L, VW-based 356.  But this slighty less-than-ideal
sports car became ridiculously popular for no apparent reason (see:
Honda Civic) and morphed into a much more powerful, more serious
sports car that never should have existed, given the nature of
rear-engined cars (Porsche's use of this layout for an economy car
was no mistake--he recognized the packaging benefits of such a
layout, but wasn't ready to take the FWD plunge, but the cars that
bore his name weren't economy cars, hence the term "horribly
flawed").  Just as the Honda Civic has managed to become the basis
for the first FWD car to do a quarter mile in under 10 sec, the
Porsche 911 found success on the race track primarily due to its
popularity.  As a mediocre car becomes popular for one reason or
another, it just becomes more successful as more and more people pour
time and money into developing it, and a sort of viscious cycle
develops.  The fact that it was designed by skilled engineers and
made from very good components obviously helped.  But its basic
design is flawed and Porsche knew that.  That's why they "replaced"
it with the 928 in the late '70s.  They knew better than to think
their reputation would keep selling archaic 911s forever.  But they
were wrong on that count, 911s outsold 928s for over a decade and
eventually the engineers lost out to the accountants and the 928
died, and the 911 lived.  Damn shame.  The majority of Porsche buyers
wanted to spend their money on an image rather than a supercar, and
that was that--the brilliant engineers of Stuttgart were relegated to
further refining a design that was never meant to be more than a
hot-rod VW, in an impressive attempt to overcome the laws of physics.
Well, now they build SUVs, but that's another story...