Re: 164 - Reset airbag codes

>  Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:31:37 -0800
>  From: "Obie Fayth" <bibendum59@domain.elided>
>  Subject: 164 -- Reset airbag codes
>
>      Can anyone tell me how to reset the airbag warning light on a '91
>  164? I followed the procedure in the factory repair manual, but I can't
>  get it to work. I made the mistake of turning the ignition on while the
>  airbag ECU was disconnected and now I keep getting code 51 (faulty
>  diagnostic unit). The procedure I followed was to:
>
>      Run a jumper wire from pin 6B of connector R22 to ground (R22 is the
>  8-pin orange plastic connector located on the passanger side behind the
>  stereo).
>
>      Turn on the ignition. After 5+ seconds the error codes will be
>  displayed.
>
>      Remove the jumper from ground for 3 seconds.
>
>      Reconnect the jumper to ground for 3 seconds.
>
>      Remove the jumper from ground and turn off the ignition.
>
>  Am I doing something wrong or is there a trick I don't know about? It
>  seems unlikely that the control unit would decide to pack it in.
>
>  thanks in advance,
>
>  - -Obie

Obie:

Here's what the Tech Bulletin says on how to do it, and it has worked for me
on my 164:

Connect a jumper wire between the blue-black and the black wire on the empty
(black on my car) connector found dangling under the right side of the dash,
usually tucked behind the right kick panel.  The ECU must be in the circuit
and the ignition should be off as you connect it.  I put a switch in the
jumper wire to make it easier to time the on-off procedure, leave it ON to
start.

Turn ignition on, let the blinking light go through all its gyrations until
it is again blinking code 12 (it does this three times at the beginning and
at the end of this display of error codes) which indicates that all fault
codes have been displayed.

As the ending 12-12-12 codes are being displayed, turn the switch off (or
disconnect jumper if no switch) for 3 seconds.

Turn switch back on for 3 seconds.

Again turn switch off and quickly turn ignition off.

Wait 10 seconds, leave switch off, and then turn on ignition to see if Airbag
light goes off after initial display.  If so, the codes are cleared and you
are in fat city.  If not, you have more work to do to find the actual
fault(s) and clear them, or use the option of removing the bulbs (I believe
there are two) behind the Airbag display and forget about it.

Hope that helps.

John Maclay

'64 2600 Spider
'91 164 L (early production version)