Re: alt/starter

Many automakers, (and their suppliers) are starting to do this.  They are
making the starters/alternators one unit that (from what I have seen) go
somewhere in the flywheel region.  The engine is then cut off when the car
is stopped, and started quickly (0.3 sec for a Chevy 350, from what I have
read!) when the driver presses the gas to go.

So then if you have the starter there and all of the electronics to go with
it, you can easily have an alternator, and eventually a "helper" motor for
a hybrid vehicle.

And they are running these from 42V also, it appears most cars will run
from that voltage in the near future.

Steve
SLO, CA
64 Spider