Twitchy Porsches

Ah yes, the old fishtailing Porsche problem. More a result of incompetent
driving than anything else, but the Porsche 911 series requires above
average ability to drive well under testing conditions. I don't understand
what the fuss is about myself, vile little cars with vicious handling and
an uncomfortable ride. Clattery and expensive to boot. Still, they make a
fast race pig do Porsche.

A Porsche 911 will hydroplane if you blink in very wet conditions. Very
little weight on the front, lots of push from the rear and twitchy steering
making it hard to correct all contribute.

I've gotta dispute the idea that anyone can hydroplane for more than an
instant in a front wheel drive vehicle. See, the front wheels drive the car
so if a front wheel starts to hydroplane the engine will start it spinning
very quickly which will a: slow the car and b: kick the water out from
under the tire. In all my driving I have not hydroplaned a fwd car ever,
even through deep standing water the drive wheels spin immediately and kick
the water out from under the tire. I suppose if you had a trick LSD you
might get one wheel to hydroplane briefly.

Hydroplaning requires that the front wheels lift onto the film of water on
the road, losing all traction and eventually stop turning all together. No
steering and precious little braking are available. The rear wheels
continue to push the car forward and in the old days of bias ply tires and
recirculating ball steering a driver could be unaware of the problem until
action was required. A fwd vehicle informs the driver the instant one front
tire tries to hydroplane by the runaway revs.

Cheers

Michael

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada