164 -- Reset airbag codes

    Can anyone tell me how to reset the airbag warning light on a '91
164? I followed the procedure in the factory repair manual, but I can't
get it to work. I made the mistake of turning the ignition on while the
airbag ECU was disconnected and now I keep getting code 51 (faulty
diagnostic unit). The procedure I followed was to:

    Run a jumper wire from pin 6B of connector R22 to ground (R22 is the
8-pin orange plastic connector located on the passanger side behind the
stereo).

    Turn on the ignition. After 5+ seconds the error codes will be
displayed.

    Remove the jumper from ground for 3 seconds.

    Reconnect the jumper to ground for 3 seconds.

    Remove the jumper from ground and turn off the ignition.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a trick I don't know about? It
seems unlikely that the control unit would decide to pack it in.

thanks in advance,

-Obie