RE: Porsche spin-out (with Alfa content)

> The only rear-engine Porsches (356, 912, 911) I've ever driven that were
> squirrelly were so because of poor alignment, worn suspension, and balding
> tires -- so no different than my AWD sedan or my Alfa Spider. There is
> nothing about the rear-engine design that makes this car a poor choice
> for any weather condition -- and that includes snow, ice, rain, and
> sunny days, in my opinion. The car may not weigh as much as your 164, but
> it certainly weighs enough not to be buffeted by the wind any more than
> your car.

Nothing except for the fact that all the weight is in the rear.

Scotts tail lift example is valid - this rear engine design lends itself to
less than expert drivers getting into trouble when they chicken out and lift
off the throttle.

To the best of my knowledge, Porsche spent many years working to overcome
some of the basic 'flaws' inherent in this design, from adding weight to the
front of the vehicle to other means.

bs