What's the best oil?

    I imagine you guys get tired of the same questions, but I sometimes
neglect to
file away (mentally or otherwise) the pearls of wisdom I see on the
digest.
    My question is about motor oil type and viscosity.  Last summer, I
bought a
beautiful '77 Spider.  It has only 29,000 actual miles on it.  It runs
strong, but
smokes a little blue just on cold start up; I'm told that's due to the
valve seals
drying a bit while she sat on her throne-in-a-garage waiting for her
former owner
to come out and play.
    The Spider FAQ lists (i) 10w50 as the "factory" specified weight,
(ii) 10w40 for
winter and 10w50 for summer as "common," (I suppose that means commonly
used),
and (iii) 15w50 synthetic as "recommended."
    I'm told that since my engine is not high mileage, I don't need to
go to the
20w50 that some guys run.  I've always liked Pennzoil, Valvoline and
Castrol, but
I'd like to go with the superior protection of a synthetic if I can
routinely
afford it.  I'm wondering if that's worth it, though, because I'm
changing the oil
after only about 1,500 to 2,000 miles because she's a weekend toy.
    I can get Mobil 1 in 10w30 fairly cheaply at PriceCostco (about $21
for six
quarts).  Should I go with this even though it's not the best weight?
If not,
what's the best way to go, given the circumstances I've listed.
    aTdHvAaNnKcSe

Doug
77 Spider
formerly:  72 TR6
formerly:  83 RX7

[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of dharris.vcf]