Starter Bolts

In a message dated 03/12/2002 11:44:59 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 00:25:19 -0500
> From: "Wayne Abbott" <wabbott@domain.elided>
> Subject: project Alfetta
>
> Hey Y'all,
> This past weekend was filled with all sorts of Alfa related activity, which
> brings up questions.
>
> The Alfetta got the bell housing reinstalled and the passenger side motor
> mount.  It seems that I came up one bolt short.  The starter is held in
> place
> by 3 bolts at the ring gear end and one at the motor mount end.
>
> Which bolt goes where at the ring gear end?  I have two special shoulder
> bolts, each is different.  Where do each of these go and is the third just a
> regular bolt or did I lose something special?
>
> thanks,
>
> Wayne
> Durham, NC
> AROC and MAARC member on the loose

       The starter has three bolts.  The two outside ones are 8 mm bolts with
a 16 mm (or 5/8 inch) head with a shoulder.  They are installed from the rear
and take a 8 mm fine thread nut (13 mm wrench).
       The center bolt installs from the front and has a head that takes a 13
mm wrench.  The center of this bolt has a stepped up shoulder that aligns the
stater.  It is indeed a very special bolt.  Luckily, it is available from the
usual mail order sources.
       I was looking at the new Vick Auto catalog www.VickAuto.com the other
night and saw a starter bolt listed.  I just looked again and they have one
for $3.65.  I assume this is the stepped bolt as the other two are not all
that special, except for the 16 mm head size.
       By the way, the starter bolts are the only place on an Alfa that
requires a 16 mm wrench.  Luckily, a 5/8 inch will work fine.  I try to never
buy wrench sets that have a 16 or an 18 mm wrench.  On an Alfa you do not
need a 16 or a 18 mm wrench, except for the starter.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City