Re: SPICA Belt Assistance

Hi Tom:

I have no experience with Alfetta's, but lots with Spica-injected Spiders,
so I may be able to help.  I'm going to assume you've removed the fan
belt(s) and also the guard that covers the front of the Spica pump.  And,
I'm hoping that the pulley on your Spica pump does not have the lip on its
outer rim that some do (if it does, either the Spica pulley or the crank
pulley have to come off).

First, set the engine to the 'I' (iniezione) mark on the crank
pulley.  Pull the #1 sparkplug and look into the hole.  You should be able
to see the valves partially open.  If they are both closed, rotate the
engine one full turn, and again set to the 'I' mark.  Verify that the
valves are open.  Work the new Spica belt over the crank pulley and onto
the toothed drive area.  This can be a bit tricky, and you can do it from
above or below, or you may have to do a bit of both.  I usually do it from
the top, working from the exhaust side of the engine.

Put the car in 5th gear and release the hand brake.  Align the timing marks
on the Spica pulley and pump body.  Pull the belt over towards the pump,
and get the belt started on the top side of the pulley, without changing
the alignment of the pulley.  You won't be able to get much of the belt
engaged with the pulley, but that's OK.  Hold the belt tightly in place on
the top side of the pulley with your right thumb.  With your left hand,
grab the top of the tire and roll the car backwards.  If you've held the
belt in place tightly enough, it will slip onto the pulley without jumping
any teeth or falling off completely.  It may take you a few attempts, but
be persistent.  Once the belt is on, again set the engine to TDC and verify
that the timing is correct.  Buona fortuna.

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
Lutz, FL
'74 Spider Veloce