RE: '78 Spider Clutch problem, m/c & s/c...

I used a Motive Products Power Bleeder several times and
even pumped the clutch pedal with fluid moving through
the system (at 10 psi!) to expel any air.

Each time the results were similar.  I then tried the
old-fashioned method and it was slightly worse,
obviously because there was still air somewhere!

Hard to believe the clutch is bad because it shifts
well, no unusual noises, and it does not slip.

I may try a clutch master cylinder (looks original!) but
the pressure at the clutch pedal is firm all the way to
the floor and there are no leaks anywhere.

What gives?  The clutch release arm and motion also
looks good though at full release (clutch pedal
pushed 'in'), the release arm is nearly against the rear
of the opening in the transmission housing.

Interestingly, when I removed the old slave cylinder,
the ball end of the pushrod was seated against the
release arm.  The replacement I got from IAP had the
ball end against the piston inside the rubber boot of
the slave cylinder.  Was it installed backwards?  I had
to switch the pushrod around to make it work.  Otherwise
the other end of the pushrod would not seat against the
release lever.

I recently replaced the gearbox oil with Redline MTL
though I doubt the problem is related.

I have to push the clutch pedal ALL the way to the floor
and wait about 5-10 seconds before EASING the shift
lever into first or reverse, still with a brief grind.
Need to get this fixed before it does any damage!

Thanks!