Re: 164 LS T-belt questions

> Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 11:35:12 -0600
> From: "Bill S" <Bsnyder@domain.elided>
> Subject: 164 LS T-belt questions
>
> I need some advice about determining the remaining life on my timing belt.  I
> recently bought this car and am trying to determine how quickly the timing
> belt needs to be changed.  The belt printing is still very visible in between
> cogs, but has worn off on the high points.  I realize I should change the belt
> as soon as possible, but can anyone estimate how many miles the belt might
> have on it?

0, if you suspect it's theo original belt. I wouldn't start the car but
have it towed to a competent Alfa mechanic. A tow may cost you a $100 or
so or, as Ian said, you can risk paying upwards of $5K.

When I bought my LS, I asked the PO when the belt was last changed. He
said 18K miles ago. I was unconvinced and had it replaced immediately.
The belt turned out to be very obviously the original one: 54K miles on
it and a hole. If you think yours has 60K on it ....

Nicky