Gremlins in my coils !

Regarding the suspected coil problem in my 24V LS I am now definitely going
to change them in the Spring/Summer. (My car started right up today as if
nothing had happened - - even in 30 degree weather). I do have three spare
coils - all used,  so I do not know just how good they are, which brings up
these questions. How do these coils go bad and why ? Is it the extreme heat
from the engine, poor workmanship, dirty contacts or what ? Is there any way
the used ones can be tested prior to installation to ascertain that they are
good ?
Graham Arlen