Filling the Alfa Transmission with oil

In a message dated 03/05/2002 5:57:40 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 17:37:22 -0500
> From: Bob K <alfabob@domain.elided>
> Subject: Spirax Source
>
> Before everyone stampedes to a Shell distributor questing after 5-gallon
> containers of Spirax, call your local NAPA parts house. My local NAPA
> place carries Spirax in one-quart containers, which are a lot easier to
> deal with.
>
> Now, can anyone suggest a tidier method for getting the stuff into the
> tranny than using one of those glorified caulking gun contrivances?
>
> Bob K
> Reston, VA
> '61 Giulietta Spider

       I like to fill the transmission through the shifter tower.  Of course,
that requires pealing back the shifter boots, which in turn requires removal
of the console if the Alfa is so equipped.  I normally fill the transmission
when putting it back in after a rebuild, so that is not a problem.
       Remove the filler plug halfway up on the side of the transmission and
pour a couple of quarts of oil down the shifter tower.  When it starts
running out, get underneath real quick and put in the plug.
       For the rear axle, I drilled a hole in the trunk floor.  I run some
fuel line hose through the hole and into the filler plug of the rear axle
underneath.  Pour oil into a funnel stuck into the top end of the hose until
it starts to run out the filler hole.
       Both the above methods work best with two people.  One to pour fluid
and one to monitor the filler hole and to put the plug in place when it is
done.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City